Surrey : (604) 503-1072  |  Abbotsford : (778) 558-8472

From a high quality of life to abundant employment opportunities, Canada ticks all the right boxes. It is the best country to live in. Every year, hundreds of thousands of people migrate to Canada with dreams in their eyes and hopes in their hearts.

When you arrive in Canada, your first priority must be to become a permanent resident of the country. As a Canadian permanent resident, you will enjoy excellent benefits and opportunities in the country.

Though permanent residents in Canada can travel outside the country, they must meet certain residency obligations to keep their permanent resident status.

Keeping Your PR Status

A Canadian PR must be physically present in Canada for at least two years in every five-year period (assessed on a rolling basis). Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada will collect information regarding your stay in Canada over the last five years.

If you got your PR status less than five years back and decide to leave the country for an extended period of time, you must prove to the IRCC that you will be able to meet Canadian PR requirements.

Accumulating Residency Days

A Candian PR who is outside the country for extended periods can accumulate residency days, if they

  • Have a Canadian spouse or common-law partner travelling with them. Children under 19 years of age, accompanied by their parents also qualify.
  • Have a full-time job with the Public Service of Canada or a Canadian business and are assigned a position outside the country
  • Have a PR spouse, common-law partner or parent who is outside Canada and has a full-time job with a Canadian business or the Public Service of Canada

If you intend to stay outside the country for an extended period of time, inform the IRCC about your plans. It is worth mentioning here that the IRCC no longer issues Returning Resident Permits.

The Consequences of Non-compliance

If you fail to comply with residency obligations, an immigration officer may issue a departure order asking you to leave Canada immediately.

If you are a Canadian PR living outside Canada and fail to meet residency requirements, immigration officers in the country will inform you that you have lost your PR status.

What can a Canadian PR do After Losing Their PR Status?

If a Canadian PR loses their PR status, they can apply within 60 days of receiving the decision, appealing the authorities to reconsider their decision. Immigration authorities may reverse their decision on compassionate and humanitarian grounds.

Dream of settling in Canada? Frontline Immigration Services would be happy to help you live your Canadian dream. We are a leading immigration consultant. Our expertise, reasonable rates, and culture of care set us apart. To consult a Canadian immigration expert, call  (604) 503-1072